Monday, December 10, 2012

Hospitalized

I was hoping to dodge the bullet and stay out of the hospital but this weekend would not allow it.. Friday I noticed I was feeling a little different then the last few days. Just achey, sore throat and blah which is normal with chemo but it was different. So Saturday morning I woke up with chills, flank oain (sore lower back) and felt kind of warm so took my temperature and it was 100.2. In the world of chemo you have this list of when to call the MD, chills was on the list and fever of 100.5 so I called the doc. So got a hold of the on call doc and told her I thought maybe I had a bladder infection. She looked at my list of allergies and told me well I dont feel comfortable giving you something if its not in fact a bladder infection come on in and well do a urinalysis and complete blood count. So we drove down to Baylor. Its kind of neat they have a hospital just for cancer patients so went to there clinic. They came in started an IV with a 22 gauge (small needle) thank God:) (i am so used to those dang 18 gauge-huge needles) drew blood and got some urine. The MD ordered a chest x-ray to make sure my lungs looked clear and no sign of developing pneumonia (its common with having chemo) and of my kidneys. We hung out for a few hours and then got all my results. My urine was good, x-rays were good and then my complete blood count, my white blood cells (fight off infection) were 1.3 (very low) and within your white blood cells are neutrophils which are your main fighter cells, they want them above 1000 or you have no immunity mine was 300 and of course my plateletts and red blood cells were low. With chemo you RBC, plateletts and white blood cells usually plumet around day 7-10 after chemo so to be expected but with my netrophils so low I got a ticket to stay in the hospital. I had to stay in my room and if I left could have to wear a mask. I asked how long I would have to be there and they told me a few days to two weeks- oh my, was not happy when I heard that Coltons birthday was on Monday  I couldnt miss that and he was not allowed to come up and see me. It was an amusing once we got to my room. My husband, he definently knows how to make me laugh. He decided he should wear a mask and of course was trying to be funny with it. He loved how the bed had hydrolics and I told him it was to prevent bed sores so every time it went off he would say oh helping those bed sores. He found the bed side commode in the bathroom and  it was all over after that he thought he thought it was a walker and of course kept making comments about it after I told him what it was. What I would do with out him:) Anyways I am so thankful for him he always turns a not so good stiuation into something fun. I stayed the night and they drew labs in the morning and thank God they had come up so got to leave that morning. So thankfully a very short stay. They sent me home with a z-pack, my go to meds. Today I feel so much better just in time for my little guys birthday so I could not be happier.

1 Comments:

At December 10, 2012 at 7:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so very glad that you are feeling better, and that you could be home to celebrate that sweet boy!! Lots of love and prayers your way!! Abby

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home